Wesley Methodist Church1 Incline Row, Taibach, Port Talbot, SA13 1TT
Taibach Wesley Methodist Church was built in 1893 to meet the demands of a growing population as a result of the rapid growth in the copper, iron ore and steel industries in the area. The people of Taibach had a vision, a common purpose, a common faith and an uncommon willingness to sacrifice selfish desires to achieve their goal. In March 1890 the whole of Taibach suffered a terrible blow when an explosion at the nearby Morfa Colliery claimed the lives of 87 men and boys. Despite nearly every family in the area suffering bereavement, the work to build the church continued. The £1,800 necessary was raised and on June 23rd, 1892 the foundation stones were laid. They are still visible and bear the names of many of the families who, with God’s help made the work possible.
We hold two services each Sunday. A morning service is held at 10:45 am and an evening service at 4;00 pm. In addition to the Sunday services, we have a Bible Study group and a Friendship group, which meet fortnightly on Wednesdays at 2:00 pm. The church hall is used, weekly, for rehearsals by the Port Talbot Little Theatre
Our church is situated opposite the local primary school and some of our members assist at the school with reading and cookery lessons. We have good ecumenical relations with the neighbouring churches. We celebrate the main Christian festivals together and share in Lenten lunches each year.