Jersey Marine Methodist ChurchSt Margarets Avenue, Jersey Marine, Neath, SA10 6JH
On the 19th of September 2010 our church had its centenary celebrations. It was an occasion to give thanks to God for the active presence of this church over these years and for the community in the village of Jersey Marine that it serves. It was also an occasion to remember and realise that a church is not just bricks and mortar but a community of believers who, through their life and service, witness to the loving grace of God.
As it commemorates the centenary year, the church is celebrating the life of the village over the past 100 years, recalling births, baptisms, weddings, deaths, funerals, countless Christian celebrations, Harvest Suppers, Carol Singing, Remembrance Sundays, and Quiz Nights! All these occasions hold a great myriad of memories for families and friends of Jersey Marine.
The tin chapel that was erected in 1910 at the present site was in fact atransplantation of the chapel that stood at the hill near Earlswood that served the tiny community of Red Jacket. Earliest records say that the first baptism was done on the 3rd of December 1912 and the membership in 1938 stood at 20. Sunday worship was held at 6.00 pm and the sisterhood met at 7.30 pm each Tuesday.
In 1967, a new timber building was built with the efforts and generosity of the villagers. Fund raising activities included families being encouraged to pay one shilling per week, and a 25 miles sponsored walk from Dan-yr-Ogof to Jersey Marine.
The entire history of our church is a testimony to the commitment of the members and local community to support and uphold the life and witness of this church.
At present, we are a small but warm and friendly congregation. Our Sunday worship begins at 10.30am with monthly Holy Communion. You are warmly invited to join worshipping with us.